Jam Thumbprint Cookies

Wednesday, December 22, 2010


3 days until Christmas!  In case you need a last minute cookie idea, go ahead and make these little gems. They are buttery and delicious, and the addition of coconut goes so nicely with the jam.  Or maybe it is because I love anything with coconut.  I think you could use whatever jam you prefer but I used a rhubarb raspberry jam that I picked up at World Market.  For the sake of being festive, I wanted to use a red jam.  I think they turned out beautiful if I do say so myself :)


I found this recipe on Smells Like Home, one of the first food blogs I discovered, and now, one of my daily reads.

Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Source: Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, as found on Smells Like Home

Ingredients
3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
Raspberry and/or apricot jam (or whatever jam you prefer!)

Directions
1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2.  In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined and then add the vanilla. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together.  
Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.


3.  Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. (If you have a scale they should each weigh 1 ounce.) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation.  

4.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. Cool and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger