Easy Coconut Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Wednesday, March 17, 2010


Happy St. Patrick's Day!  I made these amazing little cupcakes for my coconut-loving sister last year for her birthday.  The recipe has been sitting in the back of my recipe file since then and I've been looking for a chance to make them again!  I had coconut on hand and decided that with the addition of green icing (and these cute mini cupcake liners), these could be a festive little treat.


These cupcakes are easy enough for anyone intimidated by baking because, as you will see, the base of the cupcake is from a box.  I used cream cheese frosting this time but the first time I made them, I used store-bought icing (gasp) and they were still great!


"Quickie" Coconut Cupcakes
Yields: 24 Regular-Sized Cupcakes or 48 Mini Cupcakes
Source: Rachael Ray

Ingredients
1 box classic white or vanilla cake mix(recommended: Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe)
1 1/3 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 teaspoons coconut extract (found on the baking aisle of the supermarket)
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, finely chopped

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12 portion regular size or 24 miniature) muffin tins with paper cupcake liners and set aside.

In a bowl, using an electric mixer, mix the cake mix, water, oil, eggs, and coconut extract on medium speed until moistened and smooth. Stir in the chopped coconut. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tins. The batter will nearly fill each liner to the top. Bake until the muffins spring back when lightly touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15 to 18 minutes (for mini cupcakes bake approximately 8 minutes). Transfer to a rack to cool.

Once cool, decorate with your choice of frosting and toasted coconut.  I used the cream cheese frosting listed below.


Cream Cheese Frosting
Source: adapted from Smells Like Home, originally from Ina Garten

8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
1 pound confectioners’ sugar, sifted
Food Coloring of Choice (optional)


Directions
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and whipping cream. Add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until smooth.

Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with toasted coconut.

3 comments:

  1. omg, these were the most amazing cupcakes I have ever had. Better than sweet mandy Bs, and I'm be dead serious!!!!! Thanks for the st.patrick's day sweet Rys-Cat, you know I needed it! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur...I was lucky enough to have them last year for my b-day. And if I'm lucky enough, maybe again this year?? And they were fantastic w/ store bought icing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved these cupcakes and I thought they were definetley in my top ten.

    ReplyDelete

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger