Buckeyes

Wednesday, March 24, 2010


If you are from Ohio, like me, then you already know what these amazing peanut butter and chocolate treasures are.  However, if you have not ever had a "Buckeye" then you need to make this recipe now!  And if for some reason you are not a fan of Ohio State then you can call these guys whatever you wish; I promise you will love the way they taste though!  I wish I could tell you what this recipe yields but I only made a half batch and proceeded to eat almost half of the dough as I was rolling it into balls.  Even after all that, half of this recipe made about 60 buckeyes.  This means that the whole recipe (listed below) makes A LOT!

Although I am from Ohio, after four years at Michigan State I now bleed green!  This fall my team won the Big Ten Championship and we finally received our rings last weekend.  Check this out:
 
 Pretty sweet, don't you think?!

Buckeyes

Source: my mom's recipe
Yields A LOT 

Ingredients
2 pounds creamy peanut butter
4 sticks butter, softened
12 cups confectioners sugar
2 12-ounce packages semi-sweet chocolate chips 

Directions
Mix peanut butter and butter in large stand mixer until creamy.  Add confectioners sugar a couple of cups at a time and beat until smooth.  Refrigerate dough for about 2 hours or until hard.  

Roll dough into balls (I made mine a little smaller than a ping pong ball).  Once all the dough is rolled into balls, refrigerate for 3-4 hours until very hard.

Melt chocolate chips in a double broiler.  Using a toothpick, dip balls into chocolate, covering about 3/4 of the ball in chocolate, and set on wax paper-lined sheet pan to dry.  Place buckeyes in refrigerator to set.

Store in air-tight container in fridge.  I like them best served cold but these buckeyes will withstand any tailgate weather!



2 comments:

  1. love the balls and the bling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love buckeyes! Haven't had one in years. I lost my grandmothers recipe years ago, but these look just like them. I am going to make these for Christmas in her memory. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger