Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Honey Apple(sauce) Cake

Thursday, March 11, 2010

YUM!!  Three of my favorite things are honey, apples and oatmeal so when I saw this recipe I had very high hopes; I was not let down!  The recipe calls for chopped almonds, however, I used pecans instead because it was all I had in my pantry.  I really loved the way the pecans tasted with this cake and I think I will use them rather than almonds again in the future.  This cake is so delicious and it is perfect warmed up and served with a little bit of whipped cream on the side.


Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Honey Apple(sauce) Cake
Source:  CookingLight magazine
Yields: 16 servings

Ingredients:
Cake:
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup hot water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup chunky applesauce
1/3 cup honey
2 large eggs
Frosting:
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted (I used pecans)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine oats and hot water in a small bowl; set aside.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.  Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.  Combine sugar, applesauce, honey and eggs in large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed 1 minute.  Add oat mixture; beat at low speed until well blended.  Add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat well.  Add remaining flour mixture; beat well.  Spoon batter into an 11x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.  bake at 350 degrees for 48 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Place dish on wire rack.
To prepare frosting, melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat.  Add brown sugar and honey; cook 2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring constantly.  Stir in almonds.  Quickly pour frosting over cake; spread evenly using a rubber spatula.
Preheat broiler.
Broil cake 1 minute or until frosting is bubbly and golden.  Cool completely on wire rack.  Serve with whipped topping and sprinkle with cinnamon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Molly,

    I am a friend of Anne-Sophie, she pointed your site out to me...
    Just made the cake, decided to make my own apple sauce, which turned out nicely :-) and made some banana-buttermilk icecream on the side. Nice combination...
    Great recipes and very good pics!

    Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dominique - thanks for visiting the blog! Your homemade applesauce and banana-buttermilk ice cream sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger