ANZAC Biscuits

Thursday, July 22, 2010


The official name of these cookies are Australia New Zealand Army Corp Biscuits.  They are a traditional New Zealand cookie and I got a hold of the recipe from a neighbor of mine's au pair.  The secret ingredient is golden syrup; a light colored English brand of golden syrup.  I found this at a local gourmet grocery store.  When I first read through the recipe I wasn't sure how these would turn out.  But I'm sure glad I tried it because these cookies are great!  They have lots of flavor and they melt in your mouth from the butter and syrup.  So if you're tired of making your standard chocolate chip cookie recipe I would definitely recommend you try these!




ANZAC Biscuits
Yields about 18 cookies (These spread out a lot more then I expected.  Next time I will make them a little smaller and this would increase the yield.)

Ingredients
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup flaked, sweetened coconut
3/4 cup old fashioned rolled outs
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon hot water

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Melt butter and golden syrup in large saucepan over medium heat and then cool.  Combine sugar, coconut, oats and flour in a bowl.  Add to butter mixture and stir.  Dissolve baking soda in hot water.  Add to butter and flour mixture and combine.  Place rounded spoonfuls on lined baking sheet (I rolled my spoonfuls together so the cookies formed a ball and wouldn't be crumbly after baking).  Flatten spoonfuls of dough with a fork.  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. mel and i made these and they we're delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. PL was said the au pair got the credit and not her.......

    ReplyDelete

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger