Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pecans and Coconut

Wednesday, July 14, 2010


These just might be my new favorite cookie.  I came across the recipe on Apple-a-Day and I knew I had to make them.  The addition of whole wheat flour was not intentional.  I realized I was almost out of flour once I had already started making them.  Since I don't have a car, there was no way I was running to the grocery store.  Luckily, they turned out great!  In fact, I wouldn't change a thing about them!

Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pecans and Coconut
Source:  adapted from Amanda Stine and Mary Garland, Sharing the Table at Garland's Lodge, as found on Apple-a-Day

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, slightly softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons buttermilk (regular milk would be fine)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour (I used 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour and 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups rolled oats
8 oounces chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans (or nuts of your choice - the original recipe called for walnuts)
3/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut (or dried fruit)

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. 

2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about three minutes.  Stop the machine and scrape down the sides once during creaming.

3.  Beat in eggs one at a time, then mix in the vanilla and buttermilk.

4.  Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.  Add to the butter mixture in three additions.

5.  Mix in the oats, chocolate chips, nuts, and coconut or dried fruit.

6.  Drop by tablespoons full on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat, parchment paper, or foil with the dull side up.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, until light brown and still slightly gooey.  Cool on a wire rack.

1 comments:

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger