Salsa Chicken: Mexican Done Healthy

Tuesday, July 19, 2011


I love Mexican food, looove it!  I can't say that I had it too often growing up but freshman year of college, 'Taco Bar Friday's' in the dorms, opened my eyes stomach to how much I actually love Mexican food.  Then to really add to my new-found love, senior year Spring Break happened...think happy hour (more like multiple hours) everyday at Nacho Mama's...$3 margaritas and $1 tacos, enough said.

So now that you now all about my love of Mexican food, feast your eyes on these Salsa Chicken tacos.  In order to enjoy tacos as much as possible, I needed to find a way to make them healthy:

Bake a few chicken breasts smothered in a jar of salsa, shred it after it's cooked, and let the chicken soak in the salsa.  Then grab a couple of whole wheat tortillas, spread with some sour cream plain Greek yogurt, top with the chicken and some sliced avocado.  Mexican deliciousness.  I promise you won't even know you're eating something healthy.  Now if only I could go back to those happy hours at Nacho Mama's...


Salsa Chicken
Source: Molly original
Yields 2 tacos

Ingredients
One chicken breast half
3/4 cup of your favorite salsa (or make your own)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Place chicken breast in a small baking dish.  Cover with salsa.  Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Once chicken is cooked, use two forks to pull chicken in opposite ways in order to shred.  Stir the shredded chicken and salsa and let chicken soak in the salsa.

(This could also be made ahead of time in the crock pot.  Perfect for weeknight meals!)

Serve it up however you like - tacos, taco salad, chicken nachos, whatever you like!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger