Lemon and Blueberry Frozen Yogurt

Wednesday, August 31, 2011


I received a very special treat from my mom last week... an ICE CREAM MAKER!!!  I don't know how I didn't have one before -- ice cream is my favorite treat and all.   Even though summer is coming to a close, no worries because I eat ice cream year round.  I can guarantee you will see many fall and winter flavors in the coming months.  I already have about 100 different flavor combinations that I can't wait to make.  Any suggestions??

The flavors in this yogurt were inspired by my absolute favorite ice cream shop in Columbus, OH, Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams.  I frequent Jeni's at least once each time I visit my hometown and each flavor is better than the next.  This is a bit of a healthier take on Jeni's version but it was just what I wanted -- tangy and tart lemon yogurt swirled with a sweet blueberry sauce.

Note:  If you really want to treat yourself, Jeni's accepts on-line orders.  Make sure the Salty Caramel makes it into your shopping basket.


Lemon and Blueberry Frozen Yogurt
Source:  inspired by and adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams and Food for My Family
Yields:  6 (1/2 cup) servings

Ingredients
3 cups strained/Greek-style yogurt (whole or 2%; not fat-free)
3/4 cup sugar, plus 6 tablespoons for blueberry sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
3/4 cup blueberries
2 teaspoons water

Directions
Mix together yogurt, sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind. Refrigerate for at least one hour. 

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, mix the blueberries with the remaining 6 tablespoons of sugar and the water. Simmer over moderate heat, until saucy, 4 minutes. Let cool.

Pour the lemon yogurt into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Scoop alternating spoonfuls of the yogurt and blueberry sauce into a plastic container. Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface and close with an airtight lid. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours.  


Note:  If you freeze overnight, remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving to soften yogurt.

3 comments:

  1. Just put it in the freezer for 4 hours, but had to have a little taste!!
    Better than Jeni's!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone with a ice cream maker should try this......DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never made ice cream before, but this is worth a shot .

    ReplyDelete

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger