Barley, Corn and Pepper Salad

Monday, April 19, 2010


I love finding a recipe that I can make on Sunday to get me through the week... lunches, snacks, dinner, etc.  This was great over lettuce for lunches and in the evenings, when I didn't feel like cooking, I snacked on it.  This would also be great as a side for a summer barbeque :)

I have never used barley before but I loved it.  Healthy and delicious.  Even better, the ingredients in the dish are ones that I normally always have in my refrigerator/freezer/cabinet.



Barley, Corn and Pepper Salad
Source:  Pillsbury "Fun Summer Recipes" (2007)

Prep Time:  20min
Total Time:  20min
Servings:  10 (1/2-cup) servings

Salad
1  cup uncooked barley
1  (11-oz.) can whole kernel sweet corn, drained (or fresh or frozen corn)
1/2  cup diced red bell pepper
1/2  cup diced green bell pepper
1/2  cup sliced green onions
Dressing
1/3  cup olive or vegetable oil
1/3  cup lemon juice
1/4  cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2  teaspoon salt
Coarsely ground black pepper

Directions:
1.  Cook barley to desired doneness as directed on package.  Drain; rinse with cold water.  In large bowl, combine all salad ingredients; toss well.

2.  In jar with tight-fitting lid, combine all dressing ingredients; shake well.  (I just added all ingredients in a bowl and used a whisk to combine).  Pour dressing over salad; toss to combine.  Serve at room temperature or chilled.  Store in refrigerator.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger