An American in Paris, er New York

Friday, January 28, 2011

It's been too long! New Year's resolution #57: update all of you on fab restaurants to try throughout the country when you're not slaving away in the kitchen testing MagPie's recipes.

I recently spent a week in New York City for work. The highlight of these trips is a moment or two during the week when I can find a local favorite and find an hour or two to escape into culinary heaven. On this trip I concluded that my secret obsession is french food...maybe because it's the one cuisine that I don't cook at home - for my figure's sake and the fact that French recipes seem to consist of more ingredients and steps than desired for a city gal who likes to keep things simple in the kitchen. However, I realized my go-to in any city or my home turf (Le Bouchon anyone?) when I'm feeling indulgent and looking for a getaway from the daily grind is French.


Enter Pastis. Located in the fashion-packed, nouveau riche Meatpacking District, this bistro has it all - the slightly over-crowded perfect for people-watching buzz of an atmosphere (you may spot a celeb or two), the low-lit ambiance, decor and more importantly, le cuisine. You can't help but get caught up in the vibe of this place and day-dream of a life unwritten, or at least that trip somewhere far, far away. Recommendations: the beet salad, croque-madam, their famous Moules Frites Au Pernod, and of course, a glass of Bordeaux...or two. Oui?



If I can't have Paris, a fine French bistro in the heart of NYC will do. Merci Pastis!

Bonus tip: The Food Network Headquarters, aka Chelsea Market, is a MUST for any food-loving NYC goer. While I couldn't make my way up to the studios to steal spicy tips from Bobby Flay or kiss Ina Garten's feet, the plethora of bakeries, cafes, wine and cheese shops, and delis was just what I needed to keep me smiling all week long.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger