Frosted Banana Bars and Happy Birthday Mom!

Thursday, January 27, 2011


Happy birthday to our number one fan; our mom!  I did not make these bars for my mom's birthday (the dessert I am making for her birthday this weekend will be posted next week...get excited), but these sure are delicious!  I had some extra bananas on hand that I needed to use and I wanted a simple recipe; this recipe did the trick.  I do not own a 15x10-inch pan so I resorted to my 13x9-inch pan and increased the baking time to about 40 minutes.  They turned out great!  The bar itself has a kind of banana bready texture and the sweet icing makes for a great combination.  I think it would be a great dessert to serve at a brunch.


We wish we could all be there to celebrate your birthday with you, mom; but since we can't, we'll just wave hi for now!



Frosted Banana Bars
Source: Taste of Home
Yields 3 dozen

Ingredients 
For the bars:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
Dash of salt

For the frosting:
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until blended.

Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.

For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost bars.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful birthday post......love you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Mrs. Ryser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ADORABLE picture! Yall are my favorite!! Happy birthday nandle!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most precious Ryser ladies photo ever! love you guys! aaaand of course the bars look delish too. Come back and cook for me Molly!

    ReplyDelete

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger