Blueberry Coconut Crumb Bars

Tuesday, June 28, 2011


Blueberries have never really been my berry of choice -- until this year.  I have been buying blueberries non-stop.  Eating them straight from the carton.  So not like me.  Finally, I got to the point where I had purchased way too many.  How convenient that I had just bookmarked this recipe?  

The coconut in the recipe caught my eye.  I was intrigued because I had never thought to pair blueberries with coconut.  These turned out so good.  So good that I will definitely be making them again -- next time, with more coconut!  

One more thing, mine turned out pretty crumbly but I didn't mind.  They would be perfect served with vanilla ice cream.  If only I had vanilla ice cream?  

Blueberry Coconut Crumb Bars
Yields:  24 bars
Source:  Brunch at Saks, originally adapted from allrecipes

Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Filling:
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup shredded coconut, sweetened
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Crumb Topping:
5 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

Start by making the crust. In a medium bowl, stir together the 2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons white sugar, lemon zest and salt.  Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg and vanilla together; stir into the crumb mixture until a dough forms. 

Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.


Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden.  Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.


Sprinkle blueberries over the crust. Combine the coconut, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over the blueberries. 

Make the topping:  In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Mix in the flour, so that the mixture is crumbly like streusel. Sprinkle over the blueberry layer.

Bake for 20 minutes, until browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

1 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try these...sound delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger