Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup

Wednesday, January 18, 2012


Winter is in full force here in Chicago.  I don't know about you, but I don't think there is anything better than a big, warm bowl of soup this time of year.  This is, hands-down, the easiest soup I have ever made.  No simmering on the stove for lengthy periods of time.  It comes together in less than 30 minutes.  This isn't your classic tomato soup -- it's complimented by white beans and whole wheat noodles.  It tastes hearty but won't weigh you down. When I make this again, I will definitely add more veggies and more spice!

Also, a helpful little hint:  I know cooking for one isn't the easiest.  When I make soup, I portion it off into single serving containers.  Then, I can freeze a few servings and take them out of the freezer for quick lunch and dinner options.   


Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Source:  Food Network, courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Yields:  6 (2/3 cup) servings

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce
2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup whole wheat pasta (any small pasta variety works -- I used mini shells)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the jar of marinara sauce, chicken broth, cannellini beans, red pepper flakes, pasta, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger