Skinny Turkey-Vegetable Soup

Monday, November 28, 2011


I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  I was lucky enough to host for the very first time this year.  My family came to Chicago and I took on the task of planning our Thanksgiving meal.  I had so much fun planning and can't wait to host my next holiday!

I was also left with lots of leftovers.  I wanted to make something light on Sunday since our long weekend was filled with plenty of good food and drink.  This soup came together in no time and is a great way to use your leftover turkey.

Skinny Turkey-Vegetable Soup
Yields:  6 servings
Source:  Taste of Home

Ingredients
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled, halved and sliced thin
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups water
1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 bay leaf
4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta (I used Trader Joe's Harvest Grains blend)
2 cups shredded turkey breast
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced

Directions
In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrots, celery and red pepper in olive oil until tender  Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer.  Stir in the water, tomatoes, corn, bay leaf, bouillon, basil, thyme, cumin, pepper and hot sauce.  Bring to a boil.  Add orzo, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.

Stir turkey into soup and heat through.  Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.



2 comments:

  1. It was a wonderful Thanksgiving and everything was delicious....thanks for being such a good host!! This soup looks very good...wish I had the leftover turkey to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every soup you post turns out perfect! I am adding this one to my go to list. I used a grocery rotisserie chicken in lieu of the turkey day leftovers and it was a quick and simple soup that tasted amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger