Greek Portabella Burgers

Wednesday, June 8, 2011


I love love love portabella mushrooms.  Portabella burgers are such a great healthy alternative to your standard beef burger and they are nice and light for hot summer days.  If I had a grill (or a deck for that matter), I would have made these on the grill.  Instead, I had to settle for my oven.  

If you read yesterday's post, I expressed my love for Greek food.  I was trying to think of a way to use the portabella mushrooms sitting in the fridge, I had some feta on hand... and the idea for my Greek Portabella Burger was born.  This is such a great meal for summer, packed with fresh ingredients.  The homemade tzatziki was definitely a great addition.


Greek Portabella Burgers
Yields:  4 burgers

Burgers:
4 portabella mushroom caps
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Burger Toppings
Romaine, 4 large leafs
1 cup roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
2 ripe roma tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Tzatziki
1 tablespoon olive oil for brushing buns
4 good quality hamburger buns (I used sandwich thins because that is all I had)

Directions
Place the mushroom caps, smooth side up, in a shallow dish.  In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.  Pour over the mushrooms.  Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so, turning twice.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Place portabellas on foil-lined baking sheet, rounded side up. Bake 14 minutes or until mushrooms are just tender.  Flip mushrooms once while baking.

Meanwhile, brush inside of buns with olive oil and toast; OR grill cut side down on cooler side of grill until golden brown.

Put romaine on the bottom of bun and cover with portabella.  Top with roasted red peppers, tomatoes, feta and tzatziki.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger