Sausage Stuffing

Wednesday, November 30, 2011


Although Thanksgiving has come and gone, I wanted to make sure to share this stuffing recipe with you.    I made this recipe for our first "Friendsgiving" -- that was five years ago and I have been making it ever since.  I was never a fan of stuffing until I discovered this recipe.

This year, I also served this stuffing to my family on Thanksgiving and they loved it.  Even my Dad, who claims he doesn't like stuffing, went back for seconds.

The key, aside from the sausage, is the stale bread cubes.  I like to use good quality whole wheat bread.  Days in advance, I cube it and set it out on a sheet pan to dry out.

Sausage Stuffing
Yields:  10 servings
Source:  adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients
1 pound sausage
6 cups dried bread cubes
1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
1 pinch fresh thyme
1/3 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
Place sausage in a large, deep skillet.  Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.  Set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium baking dish (9 x 13 inch), mix sausage, bread cubes, dry bread crumbs, onion and garlic.  Season with parsley, oregano, sage, thyme, celery seed, ground ginger, salt and pepper.  Stir in chicken broth to desired consistency.  Mix in walnuts.

Bake 25 minutes, until surface is crisp and lightly browned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger