Cranberry Orange Granola

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

 
I realize I post a lot of granola recipes.  Hopefully, you love it just as much as I do.  I mean, how can you not?  The possibilities are endless when it comes to variety and flavor combinations! 
 
In case you haven't noticed, the blog got a little face lift.  It was long overdue.  I also updated the "about me" section and I have my wonderful AND creative sister, Sarah, to thank for that!  I said thank you with a bag full of granola -- bursting with citrus flavor, lightly sweetened with honey and packed full of good-for-you ingredients like coconut oil, flax seeds and plenty of nuts and seeds.   
 
I had to save some for myself, especially after I saw ohJoy! snacking on homemade granola with honey and riccotta -- a delightful little afternoon treat!   


Cranberry Orange Granola
Source:  adapted from a bird and a bean
Yields:  approximately 8 cups

Ingredients
3/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped raw pecans
1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/3 cup flax meal (or ground flax seeds)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest of 1 orange
1 cup dried cranberries

Directions
Preheat the oven to 275°. In a small saucepan, combine the coconut oil with the honey and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the oil is melted. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the syrup cool slightly.

In a large bowl, toss the oats with the pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, flax meal, coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and orange zest.

Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and mix well with a rubber spatula until thoroughly combined.

Line a rimmed 13-by-18-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the oat mixture to the baking sheet and pat it down in an even layer; it will be thick but shouldn’t rise above the rim of the baking sheet.

Bake the granola for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a large spatula to flip the granola.  Return the granola to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.  Once cool, stir in dried cranberries.  Store in airtight container.

1 comments:

  1. LOVE this granola...have had it for breakfy every single morning since I got it :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger