Healthy Pumpkin Banana Muffins

Wednesday, September 22, 2010


These muffins turned out great.  I was hesitant -- banana and pumpkin?  After making these muffins, I am a fan.


To be honest, I made them because I had a bunch of ripe bananas and a half can of pumpkin leftover from Pumpkin Blondies I made over the weekend.  I wanted to make something healthy for breakfast that I could grab as I run out the door in the morning.


Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread
Source:  Gina's Skinny Recipes
Servings: 12 slices (1 loaf) • Serving Size: 1 slice • Calories: 136 • Points: 3 ww points

Pam baking spray
3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves*
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg*
3 very ripe medium bananas, mashed
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg white
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup pecans (optional) - just topped mine with walnuts rather than mixing any nuts in

Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with baking spray. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, bananas, pumpkin and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
Add flour mixture and nuts, then blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix.

Pour batter into loaf pan and bake on the center rack for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the pan cool at least 20 minutes, bread should be room temperature before slicing.

* 1 tsp of pumpkin spice can be substituted for cloves and nutmeg. 

5 comments:

  1. I posted this as I was running out the door last night. A few things I forgot to mention -- I used 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, I also made 12 muffins (as you can see in the picture) rather than baking in a loaf pan. I baked the muffins for approximately 15 minutes but my ancient oven bakes at rapid speed so you might need to bake for a little longer.

    Enjoy!
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious...i wish they sold canned pumkin in south america...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these muffins....SO yummy! Dad loves them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just made these...mmm soo good! i might have had one too many!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie, I had my Sports Nutrition class-20 high school jrs & srs- make these, they loved them!!
    E Unger

    ReplyDelete

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger