Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

Monday, February 28, 2011


I hope you don't mind that I'm sharing a pumpkin recipe when Spring is just around the corner (thank goodness!).  I just love pumpkin (year round) -- especially because it is great for making health(ier) baked goods.  These muffins for example.  I do love muffins, scones, pastries, etc. as much as the next person but I also like to have healthy alternatives.  These are my other favorite -- Pumpkin Banana Muffins.  So in case you have a can of pumpkin hiding away in the back of your cupboard, now you know what to do with it.

Cheers to the last day of February!

Note:  Canned pumpkin is still sold in grocery stores.  I saw a huge display just yesterday in my grocery store.

Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
Source:  FitSugar (Inspired by Carrots-n-Cake and About: Lowfat Cooking) 
Yields:  14 muffins

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/4 cup lowfat milk
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line muffin tin with muffin cups.

2.  Whisk dry ingredients and spices together in a large bowl.

3.  Add pumpkin, oil, milk, and egg and egg white to a medium size bowl and mix thoroughly. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredient and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.

4.  Fill muffin cases evenly and bake for 18 to 25 minutes.

1 comments:

  1. I almost made something with pumpkin over the weekend and thought about how it would be received this time of year. I wish I had done it now after seeing these muffins! I love, love pumpkin and these look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Mag-Pie's & more All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger